What's new in the latest WinRAR and RAR version
WinRAR Version 5.50 Beta 5 is here, try it out now!
All users of the Microsoft Windows' 64-bit version are strongly recommended to install the 64-bit-version of WinRAR as integration and performance have been highly improved compared to the 32-bit-version of WinRAR.
As always, we definitely recommend updating your WinRAR software now to the latest full version (below), so that you too can make full use of, the most recent, reliable, stable and secure version of WinRAR.
WinRAR 5.40 (released August 2016):
1. The "Name encoding" submenu in "Options" menu selects the type of encoding for archived
This selection affects archive browsing and extraction commands. You can use the Ctrl+E
keyboard shortcut to access this menu quickly.
It can be useful when unpacking an archive without Unicode file names.
For example, unpacking a zip file with Chinese archived names in Windows when Russian
is specified as a language for non-Unicode programs.
2. If RAR recovery volumes (.rev files) are present in the same folder as ordinary RAR volumes,
the archive test command verifies the .rev contents after completing testing the .rar files.
If you wish to test only .rev files without checking .rar volumes, you can select .rev files in
WinRAR file list and apply "Test" only to them or in the command line run:
rar t arcname.part1.rev
3. While the NTFS file system permits file names with trailing spaces and dots, a lot of
Windows programs fail to process such names correctly. If the "Allow potentially
incompatible names" option in the "Advanced" page of the extraction dialog is turned off,
WinRAR removes trailing spaces and dots, if any, from file names when extracting.
This option is turned off by default.
Command line RAR also removes trailing spaces and dots when extracting unless the -oni
switch is specified.
4. Previously the "Synchronize archive contents" update mode (the -as command line switch)
aborted if some of the archiving folders could not be read. Now WinRAR continues
performing the operation and preserves any archived files matching unreadable folders.
5. The WinRAR Shift+Del delete command can now be used to delete folders containing non-
standard file names with trailing spaces and dots.
The usual delete to Recycle Bin with Shift+Del in previous WinRAR versions cannot delete
Unlike the Del command, Shift+Del removes files permanently, they are not moved to the
Recycle Bin. No additional prompts are issued for files with read-only and system
6. You can drag folders from the folder tree panel and drop them into other programs or the
Desktop to copy or unpack them. Drag the archive icon in tree panel root to unpack the
7. The "New folder" button in the extraction dialog proposes a new folder name based on
archive name instead of generic "New Folder".
8. Command line RAR version information:
a) when -iver switch is specified, RAR displays the version number and quits.
You can run just "RAR -iver";
b) "x86" or "x64" is displayed in the Windows RAR version information both for -iver and
in the copyright title for other commands.
9. If the -p switch is used without the optional
file redirection or pipe.
For example: rar -p myarc.rar myfiles < psw.txt
10. Command line RAR treats 'arcname.partN' as 'arcname.partN.rar' if 'arcname.partN' does
not exist and 'arcname.part#.rar' exists.
For example, to start an extraction from arcname.part01.rar run:
RAR x arcname.part01
11. Improvements in 7z archives support:
a) "Solid" status is correctly detected and reported for 7z archives with the WinRAR "Info"
b) dictionary size is displayed for LZMA and LZMA2 7z archives in the WinRAR "Info"
c) any unknown packed size for files inside of 7z solid block shows as '?' instead of '0'
when browsing the archive contents in WinRAR.
12. The maximum comment length for RAR archives is increased from 64 to 256 KB.
Since SFX script commands are stored in the archive comment, this allows for longer
main and license text in SFX archives.
13. Size of the default WinRAR viewer font is scaled up properly in Windows high DPI mode.
14. Switch -scul can now be used to process big endian UTF-16 list files as well, provided that
they have the correct byte order mark. Previously it allowed only little endian file lists.
15. The minimum supported Windows version is now Windows XP SP3. WinRAR will not run
in Windows XP without service packs.
16. The "Settings/File list/Allow all uppercase names" option has been removed.
This option was intended to simplify transition from MS DOS to Windows and is no longer
17. Bugs fixed:
a) WinRAR 5.31 x64 "Compress and email" command did not work with Microsoft Outlook
b) if WinRAR 5.31 version for one of right to left languages was installed in Windows with
English or other not right to left system language, WinRAR could change Windows
Explorer layout to right to left;
c) if an archive was stored in a folder without "Write" permission and if the archive contents
was extracted with drag and drop to a writable folder, WinRAR issued an unnecessary
privileges elevation prompt.
a) if the text size in Windows settings was set to 150% or larger, the font size in WinRAR
help was not increased accordingly, resulting in too small text;
b) default columns width in a WinRAR file list was less than expected for 125% or larger
Windows text setting.
2 . Interface improvements for right to left languages:
a) proper text alignment in simple WinRAR prompts, such as confirmations to delete
archived files or to clear the log file;
b) "OK", "Cancel" and "Help" buttons in multi-page dialogs, such as archiving and
extraction options or WinRAR settings, are now aligned correctly and translated to
default Windows display language.
3. Bugs fixed:
a) The WinRAR SFX module could load DLL libraries from its own executable folder as a
result of calling some Windows API functions.
This could lead to security threat if DLL files with malicious code were stored in the same
folder as SFX archive. Now the SFX module takes additional steps to prevent such a
situation from Windows Vista onwards.
Be aware that users without the latest Windows security patches installed as well as
Windows XP users still can be affected, so they must be especially careful to run an SFX
archive from a folder without any suspicious DLL files;
b) WinRAR 5.30 failed to run .lnk files from the file list.
WinRAR 5.30 (released November 2015):
Added extraction of multipart ZIP archives created by 7-Zip. Such archives have .zip.001, .zip.002, ... file extensions. You need to open .zip.001 file in WinRAR shell to browse or unpack such archive. All parts must be stored in the same folder before starting extraction.
Added extraction of files split to multiple parts with .001, .002, ..., extensions. You can open .001 file as a usual archive and then unpack its contents. WinRAR will combine all parts and save them to extracted file. All parts must be stored in the same folder before starting extraction.
"001" item is included to "Associate WinRAR with" list in "Settings/Integration" dialog.
WinRAR file list allows to use mouse Back and Forward buttons or Alt+Left and Alt+Right keyboard shortcuts to navigate in recently visited folders.
Folder wildcards are allowed in RAR command line in file names to archive. For example:
rar a backup c:\backup\2015*\*
will archive all "2015*" folders in c:\backup. Use -r switch to search for "2015*" also in c:\backup subfolders.
"Extract" button in SFX archive is changed to "Pause" when extraction is started, so it is possible to pause SFX extraction and resume it later.
"Skip encrypted" option in "Find files" dialog to silently skip encrypted archives while performing search command.
Archive test command works for tar.gz, tar.bz2 and tar.xz archives. Since TAR format does not provide file data checksums, WinRAR checks only validity of GZIP, BZIP2 or XZ container.
Adding a new string to WinRAR diagnostic messages window could be slow and affect the operation performance in case of thousands of errors. Now it works fast regardless of errors number.
New "R" object for -sc switch defines encoding of console RAR messages sent to redirected files and pipes. For example:
rar lb -scur data > list.txt
will produce Unicode list.txt with archived file names.
Sleep time parameter in -ri
[: ] switch is adjusted to lower its impact to RAR performance and especially to recovery record related operations. Higher sleep time values are needed to reduce the system load to same level as in previous versions.
Console RAR "l" and "v" commands display file time in YYYY-MM-DD format.
When extracting RAR and ZIP archives created in Unix, WinRAR maps decomposed Unicode characters to precomposed. Such conversion is required for some Unix and OS X archives to correctly unpack non-English archived names in Windows. It works for Windows versions starting from Windows Vista.
Modification time is set for all folders created when unpacking .7z archives. Previous versions set it only for non-empty folders.
WinRAR prevents a computer to go to sleep by inactivity timeout until current operation, such as archiving, extraction or another archive processing, is done.
Total progress bar is displayed when extracting .arj, .lzh and .cab archives (except multivolume archives).
Progress bar is displayed when deleting files after archiving and when clearing "Archive" attribute of archived files.
"Test" command also verifies contents of NTFS alternate data streams in RAR 3.x - 5.x archives. Previously their contents was checked only during extraction command.
SFX module sets sfxstime environment variable, which contains the module start time in "YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS-ms" format. You can specify it in Path command if you need to generate a time based unique installation path, such as "Path=myapp-%sfxstime%".
console RAR crashed instead of displaying an overwrite prompt when attempting to add files to already existing volumes;
console RAR "lt" command did not display seconds in file timestamp;
WinRAR failed to decompress .xxe files if they did not include "section N of xxencode" string in the body;
WinRAR could not restore contents of NTFS alternate data stream saved with -os switch if it was split between different volumes.
Highlights of the WinRAR 5.21 release:
1. "Drag and drop context menu" options in "Settings/Integration/Context menu items" dialog. These allow you to disable WinRAR archiving and extraction commands in the context menu displayed after dragging and dropping files with the right mouse button.
2. If the winrar.ini file is present in the same folder as the WinRAR installer, winrar.ini will be copied to the WinRAR program folder after installation completion.
3. While previous versions could sometimes produce RAR5 volumes slightly smaller than the requested size, this is less likely now. In most cases volume size will now be equal to the size you specify.
4. By default WinRAR now skips symbolic links with absolute paths in the link target when extracting. You can enable the creation of such links with the "Allow absolute paths in symbolic links" option on the "Advanced" page of the extraction dialog or with the -ola command line switch.
Such links pointing to folders outside of the extraction destination folder can present a security risk. So it is best practice to only enable their extraction if you are sure that the archive contents are safe, such as with your own compressed backup files.
5. Bugs fixed:
a) WinRAR 5.20 issued unnecessary user account control (UAC) prompts when running an executable from an archive stored in a UAC protected folder. This UAC prompt is not needed when nothing is extracted to the folder archive;
b) When unpacking RAR and ZIP archive formats WinRAR could overwrite files with read-only attribute. These archive formats are now treated the same as with WinRAR;
c) "Elapsed time" and "Time left" were displayed incorrectly when applying the "Convert" command to multiple archives when the "Add recovery record" option was enabled.
Highlights of the WinRAR 5.20 release:
The first completely new feature means that instead of using Windows Registry to store your WinRAR settings it now uses the WinRAR.ini file instead. This is extremely useful when you want to install WinRAR on USB removable media, such as a flash drive, enabling you to run WinRAR on different computers. For more details check out the WinRAR help section under; "Configuration settings", " WinRAR.ini file".
The second new feature, the "Open with WinRAR" command is now available within Windows context menus for all archive formats supported by WinRAR. If you do not require it, this feature can be turned off with the "Open with WinRAR (for usual archives)" option in the WinRAR "Settings, Integration, Context menu items..." dialogue.
WinRAR 5.20 also now allows you to; use your right mouse button to drag files within File Managers, to drop them into a folder, and to select WinRAR archiving commands from inside the context menu, and also to create an archive with these files within the destination folders. This feature will allow you to easily compress and to secure files, saving your time when working with a lot of files in different locations.
As with all WinRAR updates, version 5.20 also provides further improvements for increased usability and compatibility: it is now better integrated with Windows User Account Control (UAC), and to ensure enhanced compatibility with other archiving formats, extraction support for ZIP and ZIPX archives using the XZ compression algorithm has also been added.
The full list of improvements, and bug-fixes can be found below.
1. If Windows User Account Control prevents extracting or archiving commands from creating files in system protected folders, WinRAR now attempts to start a second copy with administrator privileges to complete that operation. So it is necessary to confirm the privileges elevation in response to the User Account Control prompt, to allow this second WinRAR copy to run.
Improvements and bug fixes for WinRAR 5.20 are:
2. You can now drag files in Explorer with the right mouse button, drop them into a folder and to select the WinRAR archiving commands in the context menu to create an archive with these files in the destination folder.
4. Added extraction support for ZIP and ZIPX archives using their XZ compression algorithm.
5. If ZIP or ZIPX archives contain any compression algorithms apart from the usual "Store" or "Deflate", algorithm names are displayed in the "Version to extract" field of the archive information dialog.
6. The "Open with WinRAR" command is now available in Windows context menus for archive formats supported by WinRAR. It can be turned off with "Open with WinRAR (for usual archives)" option in the WinRAR "Settings, Integration, Context menu items..." dialog.
7. Command line RAR can read the default set of switches from the rar.ini file stored in your RAR program folder. Previously it was only possible to define the same set of switches for all RAR commands with the "switches=
8. Command "ch" also supports switches -tl, -cu, -cl for ZIP archives. Previously "ch" only allowed these switches for the RAR archive format.
9. For archive formats lacking file time information, such as .bz2, .xz and .Z, WinRAR now sets the container archive modification time to the extracted files. This does not apply to tar.bz2, tar.xz and tar.Z, which use the file time stored in the tar headers.
11. The WinRAR icon in each Windows context menu is now scaled up correctly in high DPI screen modes such as 150 or 200 times normal text size.
12. It is now possible to disable the WinRAR "Benchmark" command with the "Benchmark" variable in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WinRAR\Policy Registry key. In a multi-user environment the "Benchmark" command might corrupt shared computational resources. See the "Registry variables" topic in the "Configuration settings" chapter of WinRAR Help for more details.
13. In addition to the "sfxcmd" variable containing the entire command line, the SFX modulenow sets the "sfxpar" variable which contains just the command line parameters, without the leading SFX module name. These variables are set before starting a program as specified in the "Setup" command.
14. The file overwrite prompt in console RAR now displays the size and modification time for existing and new files.
15. When archiving from stdin with -si switch, RAR sets the current system time to the modification time of archived files. Previous versions did not set this time at all.
16. It is now possible to use the -si and -v
17. A warning is issued before starting to unpack 4 GB or larger files from a RAR or ZIP archive to a FAT32 partition, so that the user can cancel the operation as FAT32 does not support files of such size.
18. the "Select all" button in the "Settings, Integration" dialog has been renamed to "Toggle all". It now deselects archive formats if all they have already been selected.
19. The "Delete archive" extraction option now correctly removes all .zip and .7z volumes. Previously it removed only the first volume in each set for these archive formats.
WinRAR New Zealand in association with RARLAB.com and win.rar GmbH are very pleased to present to you our latest update, WinRAR 5.11, the world's leading compression and archive management software.
We now offer a completely new option, WinRAR can now decompress TAR archives that contain folders with pax extended headers.
WinRAR now supports the "Keep broken files" extraction option for 7-zip archives to maintain compatibility with the other formats.
"By providing regular updates we are taking care to achieve high compatibility, up-to-datedness, stability and reliability of our software. With the latest version we have further improved the usability of alternative archiving formats to fulfill customers' wishes plus we have fixed several recent bugs", says Öncül Kaya, Managing Director of win.rar GmbH.
Since its first public release 20 years ago WinRAR has continuously maintained their advanced track-record for high compression rates and stability, alongside all the advantages associated with the RAR format: solid archiving, split archiving, recovery records to allow reconstructing damaged files, various conversion functionalities and its many security options.
With the latest RAR algorithm, RAR5 encryption is now far more powerful as it includes 256-bit AES encryption - further ensuring that user data is fully protected. Your data is always safe and sound with RAR.
Improvements and bug fixes for WinRAR 5.11 are:
1. WinRAR now unpacks TAR archives containing folders with pax extended headers. Previous versions did
not have that ability.
2. "Keep broken files" extraction option is supported for 7-Zip archives.
3. Bugs fixed:
a) WinRAR 5.10 did not set the "hidden", "read-only" and "system" file attributes when unpacking ZIP
b) WinRAR 5.10 failed to update self-extracting RAR archives containing nested ZIP archives stored
c) ZIP archives created with the "Do not store paths" option included unnecessary empty name records
d) archived files could have a 1 hour time difference error in Windows XP;
e) deleting a file in a RAR5 solid archive containing files stored with the -ver switch caused such files to
lose version information;
f) black rectangles were displayed instead of toolbar buttons in 16- and 24- bit screen color modes and
Windows custom text sizes larger than 100.
RAR for Android 5.10 build 24 update as of August 3, 2014 now includes:
Lower memory requirements for .7z decompression. So it is now possible to unpack .7z archives larger than available random access memory.
RAR now prevents Android from sleeping while the archiving or extracting command is working and the RAR window is visible.
Since its initial launch in February 2014 been well over 5 million installs of RAR for Android 4.0!
You can find more information here.
How to get the latest version?
All versions of WinRAR and RAR can be downloaded from http://www.winrar.co.nz/download-winrar
WinRAR 5.10 (released 13 June 2014)
6. Switch -ai can be used when creating RAR archive, so predefined values, typical for file and
folder, are stored instead of actual attributes. Previously this switch could be used only
1. RAR 5.0 archives can include optional quick open information, this is
controlled with the -qo[-|+] switch or the "Quick open information" options
group in the archiving dialog. This opens the archive contents faster in
This version provides better update performance for archives containing
both quick open information and service records, such as NTFS file security.
The default parameters for quick open information are optimized to achieve
a faster open time for such archives.
2. Bugs fixed:
a) "Find" command could fail when searching a text string in .7z archives;
b) when opening a RAR 5.0 archive with encrypted file names stored in
another such archive, WinRAR could issue an erroneous message that
the password is incorrect. It happened only if passwords to the inner
and outer archives were different. It did not affect extraction, all files
could be unpacked regardless of this message;
c) the option "Use for all archives" in a password dialog did not suppress
additional password requests for RAR 5.0 archives with encrypted
d) the WinRAR address bar did not correctly process environment variable
based paths, such as ";"
e) storing NTFS file security and alternate data streams did not work for
file pathnames longer than 260 characters;
f) the "Test" command could erroneously report damaged data in a valid
recovery record if only some of the files in a RAR 5.0 archive were
tested. It did not happen if the entire archive contents was tested;
g) "Test" command erroneously reported errors when verifying RAR 4.x
Unix symbolic links;
h) WinRAR "View" command did not work for files inside of BZIP2 archives;
i) if the "High precision modification time" option in an archiving dialog was
turned off, WinRAR did not store the modification time at all instead of
storing a lower precision time;
j) destination paths containing .\ or ..\ components did not work when extracting
non-RAR archives in the WinRAR command line mode;
k) WinRAR failed to unpack multivolume CAB archives.
1. A totally new RAR 5.0 archiving format. You can use the "RAR 5.0"
2. Changes in the RAR 5.0 compression algorithm:
a) maximum compression dictionary size is increased up to 1 GB
b) default dictionary size for RAR 5.0 is 32 MB, typically resulting
c) -md switch syntax is modified to support larger dictionary
d) RAR 5.0 format includes Intel IA-32 executable and delta
e) RAR 5.0 decompression can utilize several CPU cores. Though not to
3. Changes in RAR 5.0 archive format:
a) file times are stored as Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) instead
b) file names and archive comments use UTF-8 encoding.
In additional to the usual data erasures, the new recovery record
The RAR 5.0 recovery record is more resistant to recovery record
The new recovery record is no longer based on 512 byte sectors, it
We used the "Screaming Fast Galois Field Arithmetic Using Intel SIMD
5. "Test" command verifies the validity of the RAR 5.0 recovery record.
If a corrupt archive contains the recovery record, it might be
6. Changes in RAR 5.0 encryption algorithm:
a) encryption algorithm is changed from AES-128 to AES-256 in CBC mode.
b) special password verification value allows the detection of most
c) if archive headers are not encrypted ("Encrypt file names" option
7. RAR 5.0 archives allow the utilization of 256 bit length BLAKE2sp hash
While producing slightly larger archives, BLAKE2 can be used for file
8. Features removed:
a) authenticity verification feature did not provide the required
c) old style extension based arcname.rNN volume names are not
9. "Set password" command and "Dictionary size" option are moved to the
The similar option for NTFS hard links is "Save hard links as links".
Both options are available only for the RAR 5.0 archive format.
a) maximum number of RAR+REV volumes in RAR 5.0 format is 65535
b) recovery volume operations are faster than in RAR 4.x.
c) in addition to recovery data, RAR 5.0 REV files also store
15. 'v' and 'l' commands display archived file names in the end of the
'vta' and 'lta' also include service headers into list.
16. Now the default charset for filelists in commands like 'rar a arcname
17. Internal WinRAR viewer can now detect and display files in UTF-8
18. UTF-16 little endian encoding is used in the RAR and WinRAR log file
You can use the -scg switch to change the default log file encoding,
19. Command line 'r' (repair) command can include an optional destpath\
Version 4.20 (June 2012)