WinRAR Version 5.50 Beta 5 is the latest available Beta version release.
23 May 2017: Download WinRAR x64 5.50 Beta 5 or Download WinRAR 5.50 Beta 5 32-bit, to check it out!Note: Beta versions may include imperfections that will be corrected in the next final, or Beta version - if you should find any problems then please send us the full details of the problem on our WinRAR How To support site here. For this reason we suggest that you do not install Beta versions on a business computer.
Here's what's updated in WinRAR Version 5.50 beta 5
1. If it takes too much time to locate a destination path in extraction dialog folder tree, automatic search performed as user enters the path is
What's updated in WinRAR Version 5.50 beta 4
1. Bugs fixed:
a) fixed a crash and security vulnerability when unpacking corrupt RAR4 archives;
b) "Extract to a specified folder" command was missing in context menu in WinRAR file list when right clicking an archive.
What's updated in WinRAR Version 5.50 beta 3
1. Added support for Unix extended timestamp extra field (0x5455 extra field tag) in ZIP archives. Such timestamps are used by InfoZip
to store UTC file time additionally to standard ZIP local time. Now WinRAR reads and sets such timestamps when extracting.
2. "Run", "Open in associated application", "Show archive contents" items are added to right click menu in WinRAR file list. So you
can right click SFX archive or archive file with non-archive extension like .docx and choose if you wish to browse its contents, to run or open
3. These items are present only in the file management mode and are not available inside of archives.
4. "File types to open as archives first" option is moved from "Settings/Archives" to "Settings/Compression". Now it works only outside
of archives to avoid conflicts with "Settings/Viewer/ Unpack everything for" option.
1. Bugs fixed:
What's updated in WinRAR Version 5.50 beta 2
1. Previous versions ignored files with invalid UTF-8 names inside of ZIP archives. Now WinRAR extracts such files, even though their
names may include arbitrary text after unpacking.
This now is changed, so "Unpack everything for" has a higher precedence for archived files.
Any files inside of any archive matching "Unpack everything for" masks are processed according to that option even if they are also matched
by "File types to open as archives first" masks.
1. WinRAR and command line RAR now use our RAR 5.0 archive format by default.
You can change this to RAR 4.x compatible format with the "RAR4" option in the archiving dialog or -ma4 command line switch.
If you prefer RAR 4.x format as the default, use the "Create default..." button in the WinRAR settings "Compression" page and set "RAR4" in the
keeps that stored setting.
2. Use the "Set master password" button in the "Organize passwords" dialog to encrypt your saved password records and protect them from
If saved passwords are protected with a master password, you need to enter the master password and press "OK" in the password prompt to
access them. If an entered password does not match the master password, it is treated as a usual password for archive operations.
Once entered, the master password is only valid until WinRAR is closed. If you wish to see how protection works, close WinRAR and open it
again after specifying the master password. To remove encryption from previously password protected records, enter a valid password and then
an empty master password.
by older versions. It does not affect archive encryption formats and encrypted archives are compatible with previous WinRAR versions.
Organizer data is converted to the new format only when you save it, not immediately after installing WinRAR.
3. A prompt proposing to set the master password is displayed when storing a password in compression profile. You can enter the master password
to encrypt password data stored in your Windows Registry to protect it from unauthorized access. You will need to enter the master password
in the password prompt dialog to access the compression profile after that.
Once entered, the master password is valid until WinRAR is closed. Close WinRAR and open it again after specifying the master password if you
wish to see how protection works.
4. By default, WinRAR uses AES-256 in CTR mode to encrypt ZIP archives. While AES-256 is significantly more secure than the ZIP 2.0 legacy
encryption algorithm, it can be incompatible with some older unzip software. If compatibility with such tools is required, you can enable the "ZIP
legacy encryption" option in the password dialog or use -mezl switch in the command line mode.
5. Added extraction support for .LZ archives created by Lzip compressor.
6. Modern TAR tools can store high precision file times, lengthy file names and large file sizes in special PAX extended headers inside of a TAR
archive. WinRAR now supports such PAX headers and uses them when extracting TAR archives.
7. New "Store modification time" option on the archiving dialog "Time" page can be used to prohibit storing the file modification time in RAR 5.x
archives. The former "High precision modification time" option is replaced by "High precision time format".
8. New; "Full paths in title bar" option in "Settings/General" dialog. If enabled, the full path of any currently opened folder or archive is displayed in the
WinRAR title bar.
9. New; "Settings/Archives" page provides "File types to open as archives first" group of options. Here you can define how Enter or double click on a
file with non-archive extension and archive contents should be processed in a WinRAR file list. Examples of such files are .docx or self-extracting
You can instruct WinRAR to open such files as archives, to run them, to handle them similarly or differently inside and outside of archives, or to
never run specified file types even if they do not include any archived contents.
Default settings are to open self-extracting exe and to run other types of archives with non-archive extension.
Regardless of these options, you can always open any such archive file by highlighting it in the WinRAR file list then pressing Ctrl+PgDn.
10. New "Copy full names to clipboard" command in the "File" menu places the full names of selected files to the clipboard.
This command is also added to any context menu displayed when right clicking the file list in WinRAR. Several other commands, which are also
present on the toolbar or the main menu, such as "View" and "Repair", are removed from this context menu.
11. LZ and ZIPX are added to the list of associations in the Settings/Integration dialog.
12. LZ and ZIPX extensions are added to the default list of formats for the -ms switch ("Specify file types to store") when invoked without parameters.
13. You can specify 'f' charset value in -sc switch to use UTF-8 encoding. For example:
rar a -scfl arcname @filelist.txt
to read contents of filelist.txt as UTF-8 text.
14. RAR "lt" and "vt" commands display file times with nanosecond precision. Such precision is used in RAR5 archives created by RAR/Unix 5.50
and newer. Archives created by WinRAR have 100ns file time precision.
15. Only '+', '-' and '1' precision modifiers are now supported in the -ts switch. Use '+' to store the file time with maximum precision, or '-' to omit the
file time or '1' to store it with 1 second precision. Intermediate precision modes previously defined with '2' and '3' modifiers are not available in the
RAR 5.0 archive format and are ignored by the -ts switch.
16. If a wrong password is entered when unpacking an encrypted file in RAR5 archive, WinRAR permits you to enter a valid password for that file
again instead of aborting the extraction.
17. File path information is now displayed when the mouse pointer is placed over an archiving file name in the operation progress window.
18. The name of the currently active compression profile is now displayed in the archiving dialog above the "Profiles..." button.
19. If the "Find" command is invoked from inside an archive subfolder, "File names to find" will include the path to this subfolder.
So "Find" will only start searching from this subfolder.
20. Bugs fixed:
a) WinRAR failed to unpack files in ZIP archives compressed with XZ algorithm and encrypted with AES;
b) if the "Windows progress bars" option in WinRAR settings was turned off and "Put each file to separate archive" archiving mode was used, the
"gold" part of the total progress bar did not display the compressed data ratio correctly;
c) SFX archive extraction progress was incorrect when a multivolume SFX archive with total volume size exceeded 4 GB;
d) if an archived folder name included trailing spaces and a user selected and extracted some folders in a non-root archive folder while the "Allow
potentially incompatible names" extraction option was turned off, WinRAR could lose one or more leading characters in the extracted folder
e) if only the creation or last access file time was stored in a RAR5 archive with 1 second precision, such as with -ma5 -tsm- or -tsa1 switches,
this stored time was ignored when extracting.